F&V = tomato, potato, other vegetables, fruits, incl. melon.
F&V (fresh, dried, frozen). Regional figures (2009):
- Total supply was 218 million ton.
- The region produced 212 million tons (97%)
- Net imports were 6.1 million ton (3%)
- Use for stocks and processing was 75 million (35%)
- Total consumption was 143 million ton.
- Consumption per capita = 307 kg per year (2009).
F&V (processed). Regional figures (2009)
- Total supply was 5.2 million ton.
- The region produced 4.7 million tons (90%)
- Net imports were 0.5 million ton (10%)
- Use for stocks and processing was 0.3 million (6%)
- Total consumption was 5.0 million ton.
- Consumption per capita = 10.6 kg per year (2009)
Click pie chart for full world production and trade statistics
Fruit and vegetables are packed with vitamins and minerals and contain diverse mixtures of phytonutrients, which can act as powerful antioxidants and protect the body against certain chronic diseases. It is recommended that fruits and vegetables form the basis of a person's diet due to their nutritional and health benefits.
The handbook provides detailed descriptions for seven processed fruits and vegetables:
- tomato paste;
- tomato ketchup;
- fruit juice concentrates and purees;
- juices, nectars and drinks;
- preserves, jams, syrups and compotes;
- canned vegetables; and
- frozen fruit and vegetables.
For each sector Flow Carts are given, as well as Cigar Box cost price calculations. The Cigar Boxes can also be found in Cot price & Profitability below.
Agribusiness Handbook: Fruit and Vegetable Processing (2009)
Related meetings and workshops
Study Tour for Croatian Mandarin Producers in Southern Italy, March 2012
World Bank Supports Moldova Fruit Farmers, May 2015EBRD know-how helps export Mongolian 'Artichoke', March 2015Setting Serbian fruit produce apart from the bunch, October 2014The EBRD and FAO support Serbia's sour cherries, August 2014